- The Lew Williams & Joan Odud Scholarship
- The Leila Sulkes Memorial Fund
- Outstanding High School Students’ Awards
- The Betty Hurlbert Scholarship
The Lew Williams & Joan Odud Scholarship
(Formerly the Lew Williams & Leila Sulkes Scholarship)
The 2023-2024 Lew Williams and Joan Odud Scholarship Information Flyer
One or more Scholarships of $2000 are awarded for an academic year for women in undergraduate or graduate degree programs.
Application period for 2023-2024 School Year
Each year, Applications are accepted from January – July for the following academic school year. The deadline for applying for scholarships is July 31, each year. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an application!
Please read the following instructions carefully. Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria below will not be reviewed by the AAUW Freehold Branch Scholarship Committee.
Scholarship Applicant Qualifications
- Women 25 years of age or older
- Residents of Colts Neck, Englishtown, Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Freehold Township, Howell, Manalapan, Marlboro, Monroe Township or Morganville
- Enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program having completed a minimum of 60 credits OR enrolled in a graduate degree program having completed a minimum of 6 credits. The school AND program MUST be accredited by a regional accrediting association.
- Must have maintained a minimum GPA of “B”
- Will be enrolled in the school year for which the application is being made
Previous Lew Williams and Joan Odud Scholarship (formerly known as Lew Williams and Leila Sulkes Scholarship) winners are not eligible to apply.
Award checks will be made out to the school (Not to the award winner).
Additional questions? Contact email@example.com
Send application requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
A completed application, official transcript(s), and two letters of recommendation must be mailed in and postmarked by July 31 of the year for which applying. Send your completed application and transcript(s) to email@example.com as attachments.
Please request that references send their letters of recommendation directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Leila Sulkes Memorial Fund
So many have felt a strong connection to Leila Sulkes and all she had done for AAUW Freehold Branch, during her over 50 years of membership. The money collected for the Leila Sulkes Memorial Fund is used for women’s scholarships. The winner is chosen by the financial aid office at Brookdale Community College (BCC) and the $1000 scholarship is awarded annually.
If you wish to donate to the Leila Sulkes Memorial Fund, send checks made out to AAUW to our Finance Officer.
Outstanding High School Students’ Awards
The Rose Fishkin Scholarship Awards are given every year to the highest-ranking female graduating senior in each of the six Freehold Regional high schools. The high school selects the female student with the highest grade point average at the end of the third quarter.
The Betty Hurlbert Scholarship
The Betty Hurlbert Scholarship was established as designated in her will. It is stipulated that the recipient be a Freehold Township resident attending a Freehold Regional District High School in a STEM Program. The recipient is selected by a Freehold Regional District High School administrator responsible for scholarship programs. Contact Terri Hicks for more information.
Scholarship Award Recipients (Recent)