Our interest groups and activities enable our members to come together in social settings, to get to know each other on a more personal level, and to have fun doing things that interest them.
Members (Only) – Password Required: Please see the latest Newsletter and our Yahoo Group emails for specifics about our interest groups and activities! Please see our Members Only pages for Interest Groups and Activities Contacts.
This group meets on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month from 1:00 to 3:00 PM.
Two cinema groups (“Afternoon Movie Delights” and “Twin Cinema” Groups) meet the 1st Tuesday of each month at 12:30 PM at the homes of group members. The movies are selected by those in attendance the prior month. Many of the chosen movies are foreign films, which have received Academy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Sun Dance Festival Awards, etc. or nominations for various categories. Bring your lunch. Refreshments are provided by the host and group members. Eat, socialize and watch top rated movies.
Great Decisions is a foreign policy discussion group sponsored by the Foreign Policy Association. Participants purchase and read a Great Decisions paperback book containing information about eight topics on world issues. The Group usually meets the 3rd or 4th Tuesday of the month, at 12:30 PM, after Book Sort, to discuss one of the topics. All are welcome to participate.
There are three discussion groups that meet on the 4th Tuesday of each month, at 12:30 PM, in members’ homes. Participants bring their lunch. Refreshments are provided by the hostess. Selections for the year, voted on from members’ suggestions, are made at the May meetings.
Note: No Meetings in December or June.
2018-2019 Book Groups
THE BOOKMARKS DAYTIME BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP
- September 25 My Mother’s Secret by J.L. Witterick
- October 23 Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
- November. 27 TBA
- January 22 TBA
- February 26 TBA
- March 26 TBA
- April 30 TBA
- May 28 TBA
FEED N’ READ DAYTIME BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP
- September 25 – “Little Fires everywhere” – Celeste Ng
- October 23 -” The Day the World Came to Town” – Jim Defede
- November 27 – ” The Great Alone” – Kristin Hannah
- January 22 – “Everybody’s Son” – Thrity Umrig
- February 26 – “An American Marriage” – Tayrai Jones
- March 26- “Girl At War” – Sara Novic
- April 23 – “The storyteller” – Jody Piccolt
- May 28 – Pot-Luck
MS. PRINTS BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP
- Sept 25 LILAC GIRLS by Martha Hall Kelly
- Oct. 23 THE GERMAN GIRL by Armando Lucas Correa
- Nov. 27 THE STORIED LIFE OF AJ FIKRY by Gabrielle Zevin
- Jan. 22 THE RENT COLLECTOR by Camron Wright
- Feb. 26 SMALL GREAT THINGS by Jodi Picoult
- Mar. 26 BEFORE WE WERE YOURS by Lisa Wingate
- Apr. 30 LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE by Celeste Ng
- May 28 PLANNING MEETING
Evening Literature Group
This discussion group meets on the 3rd Wednesday of each month, at 6:30 PM, in members’ homes. Refreshments are served. Selections for the year, voted on from members’ suggestions, are made at the May meeting.
- No Meeting in October
This group meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 12:30 p.m., for a casual meal in an area restaurant.
This group meets twice a month on Monday afternoons. We are currently not taking new permanent members. Our Mah Jongg group is looking to add ladies to our “sub list” for experienced players.
Potluck Dinner at Members’ homes during month of February (Replaces February Branch Meeting)
The Recognition Dinner, which is held in the month of June, has been an annual event for many years. It is an evening to socialize with those we see all the time and those we don’t get a chance to visit with very often. We always have a very enjoyable evening and are glad that many of our members were able to join us.
The purpose of the Travel Information Group is to explore as many different types of travel and travel experiences as possible. The group calls on our widely traveled membership to volunteer to speak about a travel destination, share experiences, pictures, planning, modes of travel, etc. Meetings are informal, yet informative. The group meets at a member’s home, afternoons (1:30 PM), four times per year (in October & November, April & May) on the third Thursday of the month,
Each month trips are planned to various locations in NY and NJ, where we take docent-led tours of museums and other places of interest. During winter months, instead of monthly trip: Ladies Afternoon at the Movies (East Windsor) Carpools are facilitated for those wishing to attend. Some destinations we’ve visited are:
- Brandywine River Art Museum Chadds Ford, PA
- Bryn Athyn, PA Historic District
- Cedar Lane Alpaca Farm and The Chapter House for lunch , Howell NJ
- Center for Holocaust, Human Rights, and Genocide Education (Chhange) at Brookdale Community College, Lincroft, NJ
- Deep Cut Gardens in Middletown, NJ
- Duke Farms in Hillsborough, NJ
- Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, PA
- Freehold Museum & Library In Freehold, NJ
- George Street Playhouse in New Brunswick, NJ (A trip to see Venus in Fur)
- Great Falls National Historic Park & Paterson Museum
- Grounds for Sculpture, in Hamilton, NJ
- Hindu Temple the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir in Robinsville, NJ & Mastori’s Diner, Bordentown, NJ
- GUILD OF CREATIVE ART in Shrewsbury, NJ
- Hunterdon Hills Playhouse in Union Township, NJ
- Info Age Museum at Camp Evans in Wall Twp, NJ
- Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County
- Monmouth County Agriculture Building (Kosloski Rd, Freehold)
- The Monmouth County Historical Association, Marpit Hall and the Taylor-Butler Housel Middletown, NJ
- Morris Aboretum in Philadelphia, PA
- Morris Museum and The Thirsty Turtle
- Nemours Mansion & Gardens Wilmington, DE
- NY Botanical Gardens and lunch at Antonio’s Trattoria
- Pearl S. Buck House in Perkasie, PA
- Pine Barrens Native Fruits, and lunch at the Plumstead Grill
- The Proprietary House, in Perth Amboy, NJ and lunch at The Barge
- Roebling Museum in Roebling, NJ
- Rutherford Hall in Allamuchy, NJ
- The Seeing Eye Institute in Morristown, NJ
- Spirit of NJ lunch cruise from Weehawken, NJ
- Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms and lunch at Lemongrass Viet-Thai Restaurant
- Tenement Museum in NYC
- Twin Lights Lighthouse, Bahrs & Monmouth County 9/11 Memorial located at Mt. Mitchell
- Tuckerton Seaport in Tuckerton.
- Vanderbilt Museum Centerport, New York
- Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center and Old Oarhouse Irish Pub
- Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library, Delaware
- Zimmerli Art Museum in New Brunswick, NJ
Members (Only) (Password Required):
See the Trips & Treks (Cultural Affairs) Page for details on upcoming activities.